Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I request a solid waste permit?
City of Menomonie solid waste permits are available to City residents only. You can request a solid waste permit online or fill out a form at the City Solid Waste Site. Permits are mailed out once a week so you should receive your permit within a week or two of your request. The only information you need to fill out the request form is your name, email address (if you have one) and mailing address. No proof of residency is required.
- I live outside the city limits, can I purchase a permit to use the City Solid Waste Site?
No, the City does not sell permits to out of city residents. The City Solid Waste Site is for City resident use only.
- What items are accepted at the solid waste site?
The Solid Waste Site accepts the following items:
- #1 Plastic Bottles and Jugs
- #2 Plastic Jugs and Containers
- #5 Plastic Containers
- Glass Bottles & Jars
- Aluminum Cans
- Steel Cans
- Household Bagged Trash
- Scrap Metal
- Used Oil & Used Oil Filters
- Furniture (fees apply)
- Mattresses & Box Springs (fees apply)
- Carpeting & Pads (fees apply)
- Yard Waste
- Where can I dispose of construction materials?
Construction waste (lumber, sheet rock, carpeting, etc) is not accepted at the City Solid Waste Site. There are three options for properly disposing of construction waste:
- Seven Mile Creek Landfill
- 8001 Olson Dr, Eau Claire
- GFL Transfer Station
- 3010 Mondovi Rd, Eau Claire
- Rent a dumpster
- Seven Mile Creek Landfill
- Does the City offer curbside trash and recycling pickup?
No, the City does not pick up trash and recycling curbside. There are several haulers who pickup trash and recycling curbside in the City of Menomonie. Residents can choose which hauler they would like to use. The City pays for the curbside recycling service but residents are responsible for the curbside trash fee. Alternatively, the City Solid Waste Site allows City residents to drop off trash and recycling.
- Does the city pickup yard waste?
The City Community Services department picks up yard waste and brush curbside for selected dates in the spring and fall. These are typically 3 or 4 Mondays in the spring and 3 or 4 Mondays in the fall. The City Solid Waste Site accepts yard waste and brush for free year-round during their regular open hours.
- What do I do with latex paint?
Latex paint can be safely thrown away in the regular household trash once it is dry. Latex paint can be dried up by opening the container and allowing to air dry or mix in materials (kitty litter, sawdust, shredded paper, etc) to accelerate the hardening. Once it is hard, throw the lid and the paint can in the trash.
- Does the City Solid Waste Site accept electronics?
The City Solid Waste Site does not accept electronics. Electronics can be recycled at First Choice Recycling in Eau Claire.